Postmodern Art



The above painting is Wham by Roy Lichtenstein painted in 1963 and first put on exhibit in New York.  This work looks like it is derived from a comic with the plane on one side firing a missile that strikes another plane on the other side.  Lichtenstein used a DC Comic for inspiration on this piece.  He uses reds and yellows to highlight the explosion with the words in yellow looking like it came from the center of the explosion.  Looking at Lichtenstein's painting below titled Blam painted in 1962 you can see that his art tends to resemble comic strips.  There is some controversy with some of his work and plagiarism since most of his art heavily resembles already printed comics.






Next, we have the above on top from the famous Andy Warhol Gold Marilyn Monroe (1962).  This is likely one of the most iconic paintings of this era.  Warhol was heavily into pop culture as you can see from the painting titled Coca-Cola (1962) directly under that one.  Warhol used black and white to create the Coke bottle and iconic logo.


Jeff Koons is created the below life-size sculpture Micheal Jackson and Bubbles out of porcelain pictured below the top photo.  He also created the Ballon Dog picture below on the bottom also made out of porcelain but made to look like a ballon animal.  This sculpture was the fourth most expensive artwork sold from a living artists.


 







Gold Marilyn Monroe (2024) Wikipedia. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Marilyn_Monroe (Accessed: 21 April 2024).

Roy Lichtenstein (2024) Encyclopædia Britannica. Available at: https://www.britannica.com/biography/Roy-Lichtenstein (Accessed: 21 April 2024).


Comments

  1. Hi Tyler! I'm not sure what your theme is here, but it looks like it might be 60s American culture? I found an uncropped version of "Whaam!" and I think that's an AD-1 shooting down a MiG-15. I'm a nerd, thanks for the planes. It makes sense why some people would think it was a copy, because the Korean war where those planes were most common ended in 1953 compared to the artworks coming out in '62 and '63. Marilyn Monroe would've been at her peak in the 60s I think, but Michael Jackson wasn't born until 1958, so he would've been popular later. I think I've seen a picture of "Balloon Dog" before, but I didn't know it was so expensive compared to the scale of some other sculptures. Keep on with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tyler!, while im not sure what the theme is for your post, the comic style of this really interests me also the thought of it being plagerized due to similar comics. I feel as though that style would have been easy to copy or be similar to each of just because comics are similar is so many ways with the cartoon style. It would have been interesting to learn more about that style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I see you have Andy Warhol art so maybe your theme is pop art ? That’s what I dod and I used a few of his pieces. I’m not the biggest fan of his because it reminds me of a comic book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tyler! I enjoy a lot of these works, but I am sad to see there is no theme. I do notice that a lot of these works seem to be related to the rise of consumerism and how it could have influenced art of this era. These pieces seem to reference different products such as Coca-Cola or even beauty standards. Beauty standards also being a large influence and to and part of consumerism. This was especially prominent in the 1960s as well as today. I do like how you chose to feature Andy Warhol as I am a big fan of his. One of my favorite albums from before the 1960s is 'The Velvet Underground & Nico' in which Andy Warhol himself designed the cover art!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who is Tyler

Geometric Wildlife Sculpture Art Analysis